All Right, You Dirty Hippies

In an effort to not only eat better to be more healthy, but to also be a bit more environmentally conscious and because holy crap meat’s getting expensive, I’m on the prowl for good meatless recipes.

No, we’re not going completely vegetarian by any means, but I realize that there are certainly ways we could cut back and improve our eating habits. I know if I go and stand in a bookstore and stare at the wall o’cookbooks, it’s going to intimidate and overwhelm me. Some of the dishes in there will seem way too fancy/complicated/involved and it’ll just languish on my bookshelf.

So, tell me what you eat. Are there brands/products I should always have on hand? Are there ones I should run screaming away from at the store? I am certainly open to suggestions from the carnivores here, too – my goal is to collect healthy recipes in general, so they don’t all have to be meatless.

And if your’e curious, this weekend I decided to kick my ass back into gear and get back on track with Weight Watchers. But, rather than filling up this blog with food-oriented posts, I started up a google doc and published it for anyone who cares to follow along. I’ll toss a link over there in the sidebar, but for now, you can find it here.

This entry was posted in food, self-image and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to All Right, You Dirty Hippies

1. Lori says:

For supper, we often go the faux-Chinese route: meat of choice + seasoning of choice + bag of frozen stir fry veggies + wok = fast and easy one dish meal. Woks are great because you don’t need a lot of oil to cook anything in. Usually pretty yummy, too. Our personal favorites are snow peas and shrimp with big chunks of onion and Old Bay seasoning and something buttery-tasting. Or boneless chicken breasts cubed and marinated in teriyaki sauce with whatever veggies. I usually vent the bag of veggies and pop the whole thing into the microwave for 3-4 minutes until they’re almost done while I cook up the meat, then just dump the mostly-cooked veggies in and get all the seasonings cooked into the veggies for a couple more minutes.

If you’re a salad kind of person and like some extra crunchy texture (like croutons), the McCormick’s Salad Toppins are a fair replacement and super low in points. Like, 0 if you don’t use a full serving.

There’s a brand of fudgesicles whose sugar-free or fat-free version has 0 points per bar (one of the skinny bars). Check the label–I can’t remember if it’s the SF or the FF with the 0 points. Don’t have any in the freezer right now so I can’t recall the exact brand name, either. It’s like, THE popsicle brand. Yellow box? So helpful, Lori…

Hershey’s Special Dark sticks, 1.5 points per stick. Not big or filling, but good for that crisis when you really NEED some chocolate to melt on your tongue.

Not that we ever have moments like that. Nope.

2. Itanya Blade says:

I always have frozen chicken breasts, black-eyed peas, brown rice and canned diced tomatoes.

Honestly, I tend not to do any sort of weight watching stuff, because its just another thing for me to keep track off.

My advice is just to make more of your own food, eat less processed food. its more work, but worth it.

3. Von says:

Can we now be WW friends? I need a W2 friend…..I’m already slacking a little. I LIKE BEER, regardless of the points value….

4. torteya says:

I’m not sure if you’ve already seen it, but this column by Mark Bittman from the NYT is pretty good. It’s about basically what you’re saying. Wanting to cut meat, and giving some good advice on easy things to do. It also has some simple, tasty-looking recipes.

As for tips of my own, I’ll come back when my caffeine levels are not too low. Goddamn start of the semester.

5. Shannon Erin says:

I sent you many emails. :) Expect more.

6. Nauloera says:

I live in a house of carnivores but chicken seems to go on sale much more often than beef so they’ve seen much of that lately. One favorite is Naked Chicken Strips.

Boneless chicken breast cut into strips. Throw it in a skillet with some lemon juice and Mrs. Dash Original. Cook with a lid on (stirring occasionally to keep them moist). Goes great with salad or steamed veggies.

Originally I started making them like this out of laziness. Kids liked chicken strips, I hated the mess of deep frying. So not only are they easy but healthy too!

7. falconesse says:

You guys are the best. I’ll be trying so many of these.

We have a Farmers’ Market across the street every Monday and Wednesday. I was all thrown off by the holiday, so I thought “Ooooh, I’ll go buy peaches for this recipe Shannon sent me. Then I got outside and realized it was Thursday. Sadness.

And Von, yes!

8. torteya says:

Von, not sure if it’s enough less points to make it worthwhile, but Sam Adams Light is a tasty beer. So far my favorite Light Beer.

Comments are closed.