This is Rape Culture

Rawstory — CNN grieves that guilty verdict ruined ‘promising’ lives of Steubenville rapists

You guys, I just can’t even, right now.

Go read that link.

CNN’s Candy Crowley, on reporting the guilty verdicts in the Steubenville rape case, bemoaned the loss of the men’s football careers. (And yes, I’m saying men, not boys. Because let’s not fucking pretend they were innocent little children committing rape, shall we?

Oh, and yes, I’m going to swear.)

When you — like Candy Crowley and alarming percentage of the town of Steubenville! — value the lives and careers of rapists over that of their victim, you are contributing to the rape culture.

When you blame the victim for being too drunk to consent, or for “putting herself in that situation,” you are contributing to the rape culture.

When you suggest that the girl who was raped is at fault for the football players not being able to toss around the pigskin anymore and oh noes their careers and their scholarships and the poor colleges who won’t have them on their teams, you are contributing to the rape culture. Also, bonus, you’re an asshole.

If you think the answer to this is to teach girls not to get drunk at parties instead of teaching boys not to rape, you are contributing to the rape culture.

If you are judging the victim on her inebriation, what she wore, where she was from, for going to the party in the first place, or not leaving soon enough, or not having a friend with her to save her from the rapists, or in any way suggesting she had the power to stop being raped, you are contributing to the rape culture.

If you think “she didn’t say no, so she wasn’t really raped,” fuck you, and you are contributing to the rape culture.

If you think boys were just being boys, you are contributing to the rape culture.

If you think we need to teach women how not to be raped (because that’s 100% effective, amirite?), and don’t think we should be teaching men not to fucking rape in the first place, you are contributing to the rape culture.

That’s all I have the spoons for right now. If you have some points you’d like to add, drop ’em in the comments.*

*Fair warning, coming here and “playing devil’s advocate,” or being all “what about the menz” or “women lie all the time” isn’t going to be met with kindness. I’m not in a state of mind to give anyone the benefit of the doubt regarding their intentions, and I’m not going to apologize for that. My space, my rules. Be an asshat and I’ll take away your vowels.

This entry was posted in feminism and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to This is Rape Culture

1. Racheal says:

Awesome!! As a rape victim myself, I personally want to thank you for saying “it” so bluntly!!

2. Susan says:

Agree with every word written. Women continue to avoid reporting rapes because of people like these CNN reporters. There was recently a woman in the military whose rapist was found guilty…only to have the verdict overturned by some big shot commander…another outrage, especially for all the women in the military who have been in this position and been discouraged from reporting it. WTF is the problem with these people? I was a victim of sexual assault as was one of my loved ones…our lives have been irreparably affected although we continue to fight that. Please – keep speaking up and speaking out against “Rape Culture”

3. Conan says:

I usually just watch the 1st 15 minutes of the noon show, before settling into a relaxing afternoon of reading. However, this left me fuming all day. The lesson – according to Candy and the reporter – seems to be not to broadcast your illegal and immoral acts on social media…it is not to not do those things. (There are reports that the coaches knew this was going on and this was not the first time.)

4. Marty says:

I agree with 99.9% of what is written. The only issue I take is a legal language one. They were convicted in a juvenile court and they are still juveniles. This does not mean they are any else culpable or that they shouldn’t have to serve additional time. Personally, I think they should have been tried as adults (and then this argument is almost moot). And I have worked with younger Juveniles who have planned and plotted to do horrible things to other people. But they need to serve time in a Juvenile Justice facility and get their treatment. If they don’t complete their treatment, they need to be seriously considered for civil commitment.

For the record, it would take at least one year for them to complete their treatment. The victim in this case is in for a lifetime of therapy, not just to address her pain, but to deal with the unwarranted media attention.

No matter how “bad” these rapists have it, what they have done is far, far worse.

5. Marty says:

According to Ohio Law, they /should/ have to register for life and report every 90 days to their local police station once they are released.

“Tier III offenders are considered the most serious offenders. They include those who have been convicted for offenses such as rape, sexual battery, murder with sexual motivation, etc. Tier III offenders (adult and juvenile) must register every 90 days for the rest of their lives.”

6. falconesse says:

Thank you all for your comments. I’m one voice with a tiny readership, but I can’t not speak up about it.

As I just said to Marty, I grok his point about legal language (to those who don’t know, his job involves this very sort of thing), but from a media standpoint, every report refers to the rapists as “boys” or “teenagers” — and to the rape as a “sexual encounter” because CNN likes their cutesy euphemisms, I guess — which diminishes and almost condones what they did. It certainly makes it sound like they might not have known better, even though the word “rape” was used all over the place in the tweets and texts that went around that night. They committed an extremely adult crime, and ought to (in my not at all apologetic opinion) have been tried as adults. I’m going to refer to them as adults. They certainly weren’t acting like boys that night.

Comments are closed.